Wednesday, October 19, 2005

"Someday, no one will march there at all"

And so now every April, I sit on my porch
And I watch the parade pass before me.
And I see my old comrades, how proudly they march,
Reviving old dreams of past glory,
And the old men march slowly, all bones stiff and sore,
They're tired old heroes from a forgotten war
And the young people ask "What are they marching for?"
And I ask meself the same question.

But the band plays "Waltzing Matilda,"
And the old men still answer the call,
But as year follows year, more old men disappear
Someday, no one will march there at all.


The last Australian veteran who saw action during WWI died yesterday. Guess now that line will have to be "And now, no one will march there at all".

1 comment:

Mike said...

It seems that there were many significant differences between WWI and the battles we are waging now. Put aside the romantic notions of sending Americans into Europe, and the black and white newsreels in the movie theaters. I'd like to see an historian compare WWI to Bush's War.

Why was it so different? Why did the major nations of the world unite to fight it?

I suspect that the differences between these conflicts would expose many reasons to stop Bush's War.

Although, it may be that it would just give the world cause to join Bush's War. Maybe that would transform it from cheap sequel of Vietnam that it is now into something that could be finished.