Sunday, May 15, 2005

From North Vancouver

North of the border we continue to be well.

Immigration-wise we've returned a bunch of documents on our PR (Permanent Residency -- the Canadian equivalent of a Green Card) and hope to be hearing back again. There are several possibilities, the mostly likely of which is that we'll be asked to go down to Seattle to be interviewed. Next most likely is probably that they'll just grant us the PR as we are certainly desirable aliens :-). In the meantime, we're getting a second Work Permit that will extend our stay past August until next May or so, just in case.

I'm doing little that's special economically, although we have a deal in the works to buy a company I've been contracting with on-and-off. We found an Angel who seems to be raising the money for me and another guy to be the new management team for this (poorly managed) company. We'll see if it goes anywhere. If it does, I'll almost certainly have to come down to the Bay Area to meet the other principals and sign papers (and have those papers checked out by a lawyer!), so maybe we could have a lunch.

I'm editing videos of services down for our local UU church and putting them online. I imagine it's hardly as interesting as what Dave's doing but it keeps my hand in. As a result I've had the innards out of my eMac swapping in a 200MB drive, but the real difference was the extra 1/2 gig of RAM -- the system now responds when FCE is doing something. :-) For the second year in a row I'm taking hundreds of pictures of Little League Baseball. Last year I actually sold a few -- I guess that makes me a semi-pro photographer.

Kids are well, and adapting well to being in school. This weekend was the big annual fundraising event for Mulgrave (Devi's school), and we've been crunching pretty hard. Sara's on the committee and wrote all their auction copy, while I shot photos of a bunch of the stuff and created several animations out of their logo for display during the event. As a black-tie event goes, it was only half-tedious, but at 6-7 hours long, it's waaay too long. Devi's having some prioritization problems with studying (especially with math), but we're working on it and she seems to be improving. Kiernan is doing well at Kenneth Gordon and we hope we'll be able to mainstream him after next year, moving him to Mulgrave for 8th grade.

I spend too much time reading blogs :-) and playing Counter-Strike: Condition Zero -- if you see a guy named "Grumpy" or "bufflao" on line and he's easy to kill, that's me.

No comments: